Hearsall Baptist Church and Schoolrooms circ 1950 Our History
History7

1988 – 1998   Rev Chris Lewis was minister.  Chris had a very strong social conscience and was very understanding and helpful to anyone with serious problems. He ardently supported the Emmaus project at Binley. During Chris’s ministry our links with our neighbouring churches became ever stronger and in 1995 the Covenant between the five churches in Earlsdon and Chapelfields was signed. Our annual Neighbourhood Carol Service began. Chris’s contribution to the wider aspect of Christian witness included his role as Transport Chaplain.

An interregnum of 3 years followed the ministry of Chris Lewis and then the Lord brought us a remarkable minister all the way from Australia by the name of the Revd. Dr. Drew Kelso.  He agreed to be with us for a maximum period of 3 years as he and his wife Lil had left behind an aged mother, four married children and several grandchildren.

Drew’s main focus was to raise the spirituality at Hearsall which he did with his preaching style, his own personal faith and his charismatic way of “getting alongside” people.  His concentration on our prayer life resulted in the formation of a prayer chain and regular prayer walks around the neighbourhood.  Drew set up and ran a youth group with all sorts of activities and trips but always a period of Christian teaching and he also led a bible study group.  

Rev Drew Kelso

Rev Chris Lewis